This easy mango margarita recipe is exactly what your evening needs! Five stars from everyone who tries it!
I’ve been thinking about this Mango Margarita for almost two years! Since visiting Cozumel with my Aunt Sally and having the most delicious cocktails on our tequila tour! When hubby and I visited Cozumel again this year, I just knew I had to get this recipe in the books.
What is a Mango Margarita
A mango margarita is a variation of the classic margarita made primarily with blended frozen mangoes or mango juice instead of lime juice. A mango margarita will typically include mango juice, lime juice, tequila, and Grand Marnier.
Some will also include an additional sweetener like agave syrup or simple syrup.
Mango Margaritas Inspired by Princess Cruises
When I visited Cozumel with Princess Cruises a couple years ago, my aunt and I had a super fun excursion where we did a tequila tasting and tour. We were served the most delicious mango margaritas and they’ve been sitting in the back of my mind ever since.
My husband and I had the opportunity to go back recently and this time we did a super fun chocolate making class – but being in Cozumel reminded me again of those delicious mango margaritas, so I knew I had to come home and make my own version.
I definitely made sure to use my Ocean Medallion app to order plenty of drinks onboard the ship, for research purposes of course. We loved so much being able to pull up the app on our phone and order drinks on the deck without leaving our seats. Also, major bonus was the amazing wifi the Ocean Medallion cruises have and not having to carry a key card anywhere (mine was a necklace!).
★ If you’re heading out on a cruise soon, be sure to check out our super comprehensive CRUISE PACKING LIST (with links to all our favorite items and a free printable checklist!). ★
Mango Margarita Ingredients
- Mangoes or Mango Juice – My preference is to make this drink frozen with super ripe mangoes, but you can also use mango juice if you want it over the rocks. Make sure to get 100% mango juice rather than a mango juice cocktail or tropical juice with added sugar.
- Lime juice – It’s important to use fresh squeezed lime juice from a very ripe lime. I find that bottled lime juice just doesn’t maintain the same quality of flavor as fresh squeezed and with so few ingredients, it’s important to make sure they all taste fantastic.
- Tequila – The best tequila for margaritas is a silver or blanco tequila that has not been aged more than a couple months. Gold tequilas have been aged longer in oak barrels which gives them a oaky flavor and caramel color.
- Grand Marnier – Grand Marnier is an orange-flavored cognac liqueur created in 1880 by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle. Sometimes folks will use Cointreau or Triple Sec instead of Grand Marnier.
- Agave syrup – If you like a sweeter cocktail, you can add some agave syrup, or simple syrup. I strongly suggest trying the drink first without the added sweetener though, as good ripe mangoes are already very sweet.
- Garnishes – Is it even a mango margarita if you don’t use Tajin on the rim of the glass? (Professional opinion: No). Tajin is a tangy and spicy chili lime saltused to enhance the flavor of fruits and vegetables. It is perfection as a garnish for mango margs!
How Do You Make a Mango Margarita
Frozen Mango Margarita (My Favorite!)
- Add frozen mango, lime juice, tequila, and Grand Marnier to blender. Blend to desired consistency and pour into a garnished glass.
Mango Margarita on the Rocks (Also Delish!)
- Garnish glass with Tajin. Fill glass with ice, then add mango juice, lime juice, tequila, and Grand Marnier. Stir gently.
★ More summer cocktails to help you survive the heat! ★
How Do You Make a Pitcher of Mango Margaritas
A pitcher of mango margaritas is best made with mango juice versus whole mango, as it will pour easily. We typically consider a pitcher to be 8 servings. Each mango margarita made with juice is about 3/4ths a cup per serving.
To make a pitcher, multiply each ingredient by eight. Fill pitcher with ice, add mango juice, lime juice, Grand Marnier, then tequila. Stir well.
Can You Make Mango Margaritas Ahead of Time
You can make our mango margarita recipe ahead of time if you use mango juice, but not if you’re using frozen mangoes as they will thaw and the consistency won’t work.
That said, make sure not to add the ice until immediately before serving. Store prepared drinks in the refrigerated for up to two days.
★ I bet you’d also love our collection of 21 fabulous Sangria Recipes! ★
Mango Juice versus Whole Mangoes
My favorite preparation of the mango margarita is using super ripe mangoes diced and frozen then blended with the lime juice and liquor. It creates a delicious frozen slushy drink that is almost dessert.
That said, it takes more work to prepare and sometimes you just want a quick and delicious cocktail on the rocks to sip. Both versions of the mango margarita are fantastic. I’d love to hear in the comments which one you prefer.
How Do You Make a Spicy Mango Margarita
To make a spicy mango margarita, muddle a thin slice of jalapeno at the bottom of the glass before pouring in your juice and liquor. Make sure to stir well.
If you are making a blended mango margarita, drop half a slice of jalapeno in the blender with your other ingredients.
Tips and Tricks
★ When you have a lot of ripe mango, freeze it in cubes on a parchment lined sheet pan for a few hours, then toss the frozen cubes into a freezer bag for later.
★ There’s nothing wrong with buying a bag of frozen mango at the market to make quicker work of your drinks!
What to Serve with Mango Margaritas
More delicious cocktails to try
- Pineapple margarita
- Strawberry daiquiri
- Grapefruit margarita
- Strawberry lime spritzer
- Sherbet punch
- Tequila sunrise
- See all our drink recipes!
More Mango Recipes
Suggested Tools via Amazon Affiliate
- Glass pitcher – Everyone needs a gorgeous glass pitcher! Perfect for water on the weekdays and cocktails on the weekends!
- Stemless wine glasses – I am a huge fan of stemless wine glasses for cocktails as they’re much less likely to tip over. Read = I am clumsy.
- Upright blender – Frozen drinks deserve a good blender. Make sure you use one that can blend ice easily.
How to Make a Mango Margarita
- 1 cup super ripe cubed mango frozen (OR 3 ounces pure mango juice)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier
- Garnish: Tajin Mango slices, lime wedges
- Swipe glass rim with a lime wedge and roll the outside in Tajin. (Be sure not to dip or you will end up with garnish on the interior of the glass.)
- For FROZEN (my preference!): Add frozen mango, lime juice, tequila, and Grand Marnier to blender. Blend to desired consistency.
- NOT Frozen: Fill glass with ice, then add mango juice, lime juice, tequila, and Grand Marnier. Stir gently.
- Garnish with fruit and enjoy!