Peppermint meltaways are a melt-in-your-mouth cookie made with butter, powdered sugar & peppermint extract.
These peppermint meltaways are amazingly soft and easy cookies will give you all the peppermint vibes with three layers of peppermint flavor! Kick up the peppermint even more by making these with peppermint truffles and peppermint fluff.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Quick and easy to prepare and bake.
📌 The amazing melt away experience when eating them.
📌 The fresh and sweet flavors of peppermint and sugar!
Peppermint Meltaways Ingredients
- Butter – Unsalted, softened.
- Powdered sugar – Also called confectioners sugar or icing sugar.
- Extract – Peppermint extract.
- Flour – All-purpose flour.
- Cornstarch – Helps to make these melt-in-your-mouth.
- Glaze – Powdered sugar, milk, peppermint extract.
- Topping – Crushed peppermints.
How do you make peppermint meltaways? (step-by-step directions)
⭐ First, in a large bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Use an electric mixer to cream ingredients together. Add the flour and cornstarch and mix until combined.
⭐ Next, refrigerate the dough, preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from the fridge and place teaspoon sized dough balls onto parchment paper.
⭐ Then, bake cookies until the edges are slightly golden. Let cool on the baking sheet and then remove to cool completely on a cooling rack.
⭐ Last, combine powdered sugar, peppermint extract and milk a little at a time and mix until the desired thickness is achieved for the glaze. Drizzle glaze over the cooled cookies and sprinkle with crushed peppermints. Let the glaze set and enjoy!
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can peppermint meltaway cookies be made ahead of time?
Yes, these can be made a day or two in advance. Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
How thick should the glaze be?
Add enough milk to the powdered sugar that the glaze can drizzle off the end of a spoon. If the glaze is too thick to drizzle, add more milk. If the glaze has become too thin, add more powdered sugar.
Where can I get crushed peppermints?
You can easily crush peppermints or candy canes yourself in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin. However, around the holidays they sell pre-crushed peppermints in the baking section of the grocery store.
Storage and leftovers
How long do peppermint meltaways last?
Store these in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
Can peppermint meltaways be frozen?
Yes, these freeze well. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw when ready to eat. We recommend layering the meltaways between wax paper or parchment paper to prevent the cookies from sticking together.
Tips and tricks
✅ Add some red food coloring to the glaze for an extra festive touch!
✅ If you don’t want the extra peppermint flavor of the crushed peppermint, add sprinkles instead.
✅ Make a double batch because these go incredibly fast!
✅ Keep some extra frozen in the freezer for drop by company or for gifts.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make these cookies without the glaze?
Absolutely! The glaze adds extra sweetness and peppermint flavor, but the cookies can still be delicious without it. You can also consider dusting them with powdered sugar.
How can I avoid the cookies from becoming too fragile during handling?
Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack. They will firm up slightly as they cool, reducing the risk of breakage.
What can I use if I don’t have parchment paper for baking?
If parchment paper is unavailable, you can use a lightly greased baking sheet, or a silicone baking mat to prevent the cookies from sticking.
Can I use a cookie scoop instead of shaping the dough into teaspoon-sized balls?
Yes, a cookie scoop can be a convenient alternative for shaping uniform-sized cookies. Adjust the baking time accordingly based on the size of the cookies.
What to enjoy with peppermint meltaways (serving suggestions)
Peppermint meltaways are one of our favorite Christmas cookies to put on our holiday treat tray. We also like to add in some Grinch truffles, red velvet cookies, Martha Washington candy, and pecan pie balls.
More delicious peppermint recipes
- Chocolate peppermint cookies
- Peppermint truffles
- Peppermint mocha
- Peppermint brownies
- Sugar cookie peppermint sticks
- Peppermint fluff
- Peppermint mocha puppy chow
- See all our minty recipes!
Other holiday cookie recipes you’ll love
- Christmas sugar cookie bars
- Italian Christmas cookies
- M&M Christmas cookies recipe
- Reindeer cookie cake
- Christmas tree cookies
- See all our easy cookie recipes!
Tools we love
- Silicon baking mat – Nothing sticks to these, I swear by them!
- Baking sheets – We love these from Nordicware. I use mine constantly.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Peppermint Meltaways
- 1 cup butter softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- crushed peppermints for topping
- In a large bowl combine 1 cup butter, ½ cup powdered sugar and ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Using an electric mixer beat until all combined and creamed together. Next add in the flour and cornstarch until well mixed. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Shape dough into balls (we used about 2 teaspoons of dough per ball). Place dough balls on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake on the center rack of a preheated 350℉ oven for 12 - 15 minutes, until the edges are just turning a light golden brown.
- Remove and allow cookies to cook on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a wire cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely.
- To make the glaze whisk together 1½ cups powdered sugar, ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract 1 tablespoon of milk. Add more milk in small increments until you reach your desired consistence. Pour over cookies and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy.
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!