Sausage balls are a bready, meaty, cheesy bite of deliciousness made with ground sausage, cheese, and baking mix!
This simple sausage ball recipe is only three easy ingredients and a great option for a simple appetizer or main dish. My kids love it when we serve them with smashed potatoes and roasted asparagus!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Ridiculously easy to make, only 3 simple ingredients with no fancy directions or tools necessary.
📌 Freezable so you can make a double or triple batch and enjoy an easy app or dinner again later.
📌 Easy to adapt for tastes with various cheeses and different flavored sausages.
- Pork sausage – Ground pork sausage. I’m partial to breakfast pork sausage, but this recipe works great with any kind.
- Prepared baking mix – Like Bisquick. You can use name brand or generic for this recipe.
- Cheese – Shredded cheddar cheese.
⭐ First, thoroughly knead together the sausage and the baking mix.
⭐ Next, add the cheese and knead until thoroughly distributed and mixed in.
⭐ Then, form into golf ball sized balls and place on a lined baking sheet.
⭐ Finally, bake until sausage is cooked through and browned on the outside.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can you make sausage balls ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these a day or two in advance and then add to your favorite recipe or heat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer to enjoy. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
What kind of meat is used for sausage balls?
Sausage of course! But more specifically we use ground pork sausage. This can also be made with chicken or turkey sausage if you prefer.
Is it better to bake or fry?
This recipe works best when baked, as the cheese can get messy when frying. Also it’s just so much easier to pop them in the oven and walk away!
Storage and leftovers
How long will they last?
The leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days, or longer in the freezer. Make sure to store in an airtight container for best results.
Can you freeze sausage balls?
Yes! Allow them to cool completely, then store tightly packed in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Make them spicy with spicy sausage, chipotle powder, chili powder, chopped jalapeno peppers, or red pepper flakes.
✅ Cut down on calories by using chicken sausage or turkey sausage.
✅ Use a cookie scoop to make evenly sized balls easily.
✅ Line your pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to keep them from sticking.
Try serving these with your favorite dipping sauce like homemade ranch dressing or creamy dill sauce. Enjoy them as an appetizer along with other party favorites like toasted ravioli, dill pickle dip, and bacon wrapped chicken bites.
Or, if you’re making them for your main course, serve with mashed butternut squash, roasted broccoli, and homemade egg noodles!
More delicious meatball recipes
- Chicken meatballs
- Classic meatball recipe
- Grape jelly meatballs
- Swedish meatballs
- Turkey meatballs
- Spicy chipotle meatballs
Other appetizers to try
- Buffalo wings
- BBQ chicken taquitos
- Pizza dip
- Creamy ranch chicken dip
- See all our appetizer recipes!
Tools we love
- Casserole dish with lid – My favorite casserole dish ever.
- Silicone baking mats – I always always always line with these, nothing sticks!
- Baking sheets – This set is perfect, we use them for everything from roasting, to baking, and even serving.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Sausage Balls
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 2 cups baking mix like Bisquick
- 4 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Thoroughly knead together the sausage and the Bisquick. It gets sticky, so you may want to wear gloves or try mixing with an electric mixer.
- Add the cheese and continue to knead until thoroughly distributed and mixed in.
- Form into golf ball sized balls (about 2 tablespoons each), and place on a lined baking sheet. (Makes about 48 balls)
- Cook on a lined baking sheet at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until sausage is cooked through and the balls are browned on the outside.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
These have to be one of the tastiest things I’ve ever made! Thank you so much for giving me something else to make/take to a party!
katerina @ diethood.com says
We loved these so much! They were amazing!! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!