Our Shamrock Shake Recipe is a copycat version of the ever popular McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, you’ll love making it at home!
Shamrock Shake season is a personal favorite of mine, but I find the busier we get and the more closely I’m watching the budget, the less frequently I am able to enjoy my beloved green treat. This led me to the kitchen, of course, where we put together this delicious copycat McDonald’s Shamrock Shake recipe!
Make this Shamrock Shake to celebrate St. Patrick’s day, or ANY day! And serve it alongside a whole day’s worth of green recipes! (Or, if you want to be a little more traditional – maybe with some Corned Beef and Cabbage and a Rainbow Bundt Cake.)
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
If you’re wondering what is really in a Shamrock Shake, we’re here to give you the secrets! It’s really only three basic ingredients: vanilla ice cream, milk, and mint extract.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – The key to any good recipe is good ingredients, but this is especially true for something like this that only has a few ingredients total. Make sure to get a high quality ice cream for the most best shamrock shake.
- Milk – We’re making a milkshake, so please don’t pretend you’re on a diet now and do something crazy like using skim milk. Let’s make this the most awesome shake evvvver.
- Mint Extract – It’s important to make sure you get MINT extract and NOT peppermint extract. Peppermint extract is candy cane flavor – so you’ll totally end up in the wrong season!
- Green Food Coloring – Totally optional, so if you’re not a fan of food coloring then just skip this. I personally like my shamrock shake to be a fun shade of green and figure since it’s just an occasional treat I won’t worry too much about it.
- Whipped Cream – Is there anything better than unleashing a can of whipped cream into a swirl on top of a milkshake? These are the things dreams are made of.
- Chocolate Syrup– I like to drizzle the inside of the glass with a little chocolate sauce before pouring the milkshake into it for some extra pizzazz. You could use ganache if you’re feeling really fancy!
- Maraschino Cherry – The crowning glory on any milkshake.
- Sprinkles – If you’re feeling fancy, decorate the rim with sprinkles and green sugar, otherwise just shake a little over the top!
How Do You Make a Shamrock Shake
⭐ First, blend together ice cream and milk. I like to do this with my immersion blender, but an upright blender will work as well. If you don’t have a blender, try making this with vanilla soft serve and mixing by hand.
⭐ Next, add food coloring and mint extract. Blend together.
⭐ Then, add additional extract to taste.
⭐ Finally, top with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, and a cherry.
Complete Your Meal with these Serving Suggestions
Is the Shamrock Shake Available
The Shamrock Shake is available all year long if you make it yourself! And who knew it was this easy – only three ingredients!
If you’re looking for a Shamrock Shake at McDonald’s (I get it, we can’t make them from our car, sometimes fast food is what we need), then they’re available for a limited time – typically starting in late February through St. Patrick’s Day.
What Flavor is Shamrock Shake
The Shamrock Shake is a seasonal green mint flavored milkshake dessert sold at select McDonald’s during March to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. With this recipe you can make them all year long though!
Make sure when you purchase your mint extract that you are getting MINT flavor and NOT peppermint. The shake will still be totally delicious, but it will taste like candy canes rather than a shamrock shake.
What’s a Shamrock Shake Taste Like
It tastes like a rich vanilla milkshake with hints of mint. I also think it tastes like luck, good fortune, and a solid St. Paddy’s Day hug.
How Much Do Shamrock Shakes Cost
A McDonald’s Shamrock Shake typically costs between $2.00 and $3.00 depending on what part of the country you’re in. Our shake made at home costs less than a dollar per serving.
And bonus, if you make it at home you don’t even have to put pants on.
Is The Shamrock Shake Healthy
The Shamrock Shake is not healthy as it is very high in both sugar and fats – although I like to think that it is healthy to occasionally indulge. It’s all about balance folks.
If you wanted to make a reduced fat or lighter version you could use frozen yogurt + skim milk for an almost healthy shamrock shake.
How Do You Make a Boozy Shamrock Shake
You can make a boozy shamrock shake by adding 1 – 2 shots (up to 3 ounces) of your favorite hard liquor to our shake recipe.
My personal preference is vodka because you can’t taste it (and I always have it on hand), but we also love some Bailey’s Irish Cream or creme de menthe. You could also just make an Irish Coffee!
More Like the Shamrock Shake
More copycat recipes
- Frosted lemonade
- Curry Mustard Sauce
- Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- Wendy’s Recipe for Chili
- Zuppa Toscana Recipe
- Make sure to check out all our copycat recipes!
More St. Patrick’s Day recipe ideas
- Cabbage steaks in the oven
- Irish coffee recipe
- Reuben sandwiches
- Roasted red potatoes
- Instant pot corned beef and cabbage
- Easy reuben casserole recipe
- Easy rainbow bundt cake
- Stick blender – Possibly the most used gadget in my entire kitchen. The key to making a hand blender useful versus a giant pain in the butt is to rinse it immediately after using. That way you’re never trying to get crusty dried goop out from under the blades.
- Ninja blender – We. Love. This. Blender. It blends all the things! Beautifully! No scraping the sides like I did in my old blender. And for a super reasonable price. My favorite thing to blend is Strawberry Lime Slushes!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
- 3 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups Milk
- ½ teaspoon Mint Extract NOT peppermint
- ¼ teaspoon Green Food Coloring
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Maraschino Cherry
- Blend together ice cream and milk. Add food coloring and ¼ teaspoon of mint extract. Add additional extract to taste.
- Top with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, and a cherry.
Click the button above to save this recipe!