I've been in a squash and spaghetti sauce kind of mood lately, so when we visited my in-laws and had a tasty Chicken Cacciatore for dinner, it inspired me to make this Slow Cooker Italian Stew when we came home. It's a simple meal to make but hearty and flavorful. You're not sure whether to eat with a fork or a spoon (as it should be with stews), and it goes great with fresh crusty bread or over a bowl of whole grain pasta. This was even a winner with the kiddos!
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Stew Ingredients:
- 4 cups yellow squash, sliced or cubed
- 4 cups zucchini, sliced or cubed
- 4 cups eggplant, cubed
- 1 cup green bell pepper, small diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (I used jarred)
- 5 chicken breasts, whole
- 48 ounces spaghetti sauce (I use Hunts)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (14 ounce can)
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Stew Directions:
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker (I used my 6 quart slow cooker and it all just barely fit) and give a quick stir, making sure the chicken breasts are fully submerged.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Remove chicken and slice or shred, then reincorporate chicken and serve!