Cranberry Upside-Down Cake with Vanilla Sugar Drizzle has been calling my name ever since I stumbled across this Cranberry Duff recipe a while back. Today my grumbly tummy got the better of me and I commenced scrounging our pantry for anything and everything that would work to create a cheater version.
Not having actually tried the original recipe, I have no comment on whether mine came out better... but what I *can* tell you is that it came out screaming good. Deeeeeelicious. And bonus, I had the sweetest little kitchen helper to put it all together. This is definitely one you'll want to consider for your holiday menu!
Cranberry Upside-Down Cake with Vanilla Sugar Drizzle, Ingredients:
- 1 box vanilla cake mix, batter prepared
- 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
- glaze ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Cranberry Upside-Down Cake with Vanilla Sugar Drizzle, Directions:
- Dump cranberry sauce into a bowl and give it a good mash (this is a great step for little helpers). You just want to break it up a bit so it's not so can-shaped.
- Pour mashed cranberry sauce into a 9-inch round baking pan and spread it about evenly. Do the same for the cake batter, right over top of the cranberry sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean). Place on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is taking a breather, make the glaze by combining milk, butter, and vanilla in a bowl or small cup. Pour slowly into the sugar, stirring constantly until desired consistency is reached. I like mine thick, but maybe you like a more drizzly drizzle? Now find your gaudiest of cake platters and ready it for a grand job. (i.e. rinse off the dust).
- With a large knife, lop off the top of your cake so it's pretty much flat. Discard extra cake. (KIDDING! KIDDING! Never discard cake! Eat it! Or freeze it! Or impress your mother-in-law by making it into a trifle with my Two Minute Pumpkin Pudding! But, PLEASE don't discard it!)
- Now, after loosening the edges of your cake with a knife, place the cake platter (or plate!) on top of the cake and do a little flippity floppity bippity boppity.
- Once things are all set right (I'll give you a minute...) get all artsy dartsy and drizzle your shizzle. Er, I mean. Drizzle the vanilla sugar icing neatly (hah!) over top of the cake.
- And... ENJOY!