How to Make Cake Mix Baked Donuts!
What, whaaaaa?! Making donuts at home! Yay! My kids are going to flip when they wake up tomorrow and find donuts for breakfast. These cake mix donuts are so ridiculously easy to make and so funnnnnnn!!! You can make any flavor you like - just grab the appropriate box of cake mix, and you're off to the races.
I like to beat mine with an electric mixer just a litttttle bit longer than strictly necessary to incorporate more air into the batter - which makes them lighter and rise more (think of a nice domed top on your cupcakes).
Our donuts are made with cake mix (duh), so they will be cakey and more dense than your typical glazed donut (think of the chocolate glazed donut at Dunkin versus the regular glazed donut at Krispy Kreme). The springy donuts are made with a yeast based recipe, where as ours is a cake base (sorry to sound like a broken record).
Just like with regular cake - you can absolutely freeze batches of these cake mix donuts (undecorated) to whip out for special occasions (or for watching Netflix, whatever). Just make sure to cool them down completely first and then seal in an air tight container. Mmmmm, just the thought of a secret donut stash is making me giddy!
Cake Mix Baked Donuts, Recipe:
- 1 package cake mix, any flavor
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup oil (I use a light olive oil)
- 1 cup water
- optional: icing or ganache to decorate
Cake Mix Baked Donuts, Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer, 2 - 3 minutes until everything is well incorporated.
- Using a piping bag or gallon bag with the corner snipped off, pipe batter into donut molds.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 13 minutes. Allow to cool on a a wire rack, then decorate.
|image source: canva|
Shop our affiliate links for items used or inspired by this recipe!
- Cake Mixes - seriously, try all the flavors!
- Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Chips
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Wilton Non-stick Donut Pan
- Wilton Non-stick Mini Donut Pan
- Babycakes Electric Mini Donut Maker
- Wire Cooling Rack