Chicken alfredo made with seasoned pan seared chicken, al dente fettucine, and rich, creamy alfredo sauce is comfort food at its finest!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this easy chicken alfredo recipe
📌 Rich and delicious dinner recipe that will leave you feeling full and happy.
📌 Easy to modify for a quick dinner with pre-cooked chicken and jarred alfredo sauce.
📌 Classic flavors that everyone loves.
Chicken Alfredo Ingredients
- Chicken – Boneless, skinless. Pictured is chicken breast but you can also use thigh meat.
- Oil – Vegetable oil (my preference is a mild olive oil).
- Fettuccine noodles – Cooked to al dente. Spaghetti can also be substituted.
- Butter – I prefer salted.
- Alfredo sauce – Heavy cream, garlic, parmesan cheese, spices. Alternately you can grab a jar of your favorite sauce from the market!
How do you make homemade chicken alfredo? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, dry chicken and season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat your oil in the skillet. Add chicken to the pan in a single layer, leaving some space between each breast.
⭐ Next, when underside is nicely golden brown, flip the breasts and add butter to the center of the pan. Continue cooking until chicken reaches a safe internal temperature. Set chicken aside.
⭐ Then, cook noodles to al dente, according to package instructions. While noodles are boiling, in a large skillet, sauté butter in garlic until butter has melted and garlic is fragrant.
⭐ Finally, pour in the heavy cream and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently until cream has thickened. Turn heat to very low and add the seasonings and parmesan cheese and whisk until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Add cooked pasta to the sauce. Mix well and top with chicken.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
What kind of chicken for chicken fettuccine alfredo?
This recipe is traditionally made with boneless, skinless pan seared chicken breast, but you could absolutely use chicken thigh meat if you prefer a moister cut.
What kind of sauce for chicken alfredo?
We use our easy alfredo sauce recipe made with just heavy cream, garlic, parmesan cheese, and spices. But if you’re in a rush, feel free to grab a jar of your favorite alfredo sauce from the market!
Can you make chicken fettuccine alfredo recipe ahead of time?
This recipe really is best when enjoyed immediately after making. If you need to prepare it ahead of time, you should make the sauce, chicken, and pasta, but keep them separate. Toss the pasta with some olive oil to prevent sticking, then refrigerate individually until ready to use.
Heat up the sauce on the stove top or in the microwave and add it to the pasta when ready to eat.
How do you keep fettuccine alfredo sauce for chicken from clumping?
To keep the sauce from clumping, lower the heat or remove it from the heat as soon as it has melted and reached your desired consistency. Clumping is usually the result of overcooking.
Can you thicken fettuccine alfredo sauce?
The easiest way to thicken your sauce is by adding more parmesan cheese. Whisk additional cheese in slowly until it is the thickness you like.
How do you make chicken fettucine without cream?
You can substitute half and half or milk, but understand it will create a runnier sauce. You can also add a combination of the milk and some plain unsweetened Greek yogurt or even sour cream (this will add a tangy flavor).
Storage and Leftovers
How long do leftovers last?
This dish is definitely best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers will last in the refrigerator about 3 days. Store in an airtight container for best results.
Can you freeze fettuccine alfredo?
Yes, you freeze, but for best results freeze only the sauce and chicken. Preferably in separate containers. Defrost in the refrigerator.
When ready to eat, boil noodles according to package directions. While noodles are cooking, heat up sauce over medium heat on the stovetop, whisking frequently.
How to reheat leftover chicken alfredo pasta
Heat on the stove top over medium heat and add extra milk or broth to loosen sauce and noodles, stirring frequently.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Use up your leftover chicken (or other meats!) in this recipe.
✅ Add veggies like peas, or bell pepper strips.
✅ Make it super quick by using pre-cooked chicken and a jar of sauce!
What to eat with chicken fettuccine alfredo (serving suggestions)
More delicious chicken dinner recipes
- Chicken pot pie
- Chicken parmesan recipe
- Chicken spaghetti
- Sheet pan fajitas recipe
- Easy chicken fried rice
- See all our awesome chicken recipes!
Other pasta recipes to try
- Lemon pasta recipe
- Caprese pasta salad
- Spaghetti carbonara
- Pumpkin pasta with sausage
- See all our pasta dinner recipes!
Italian recipes we think you’ll also enjoy
- Crockpot stuffed shells recipe
- Chicken caprese recipe
- Easy toasted ravioli
- Baked ravioli casserole
- Chicken alfredo bake
- See all our Italian inspired recipes!
Tools we love
- Collapsible strainers – If you have a small kitchen and a lot of mouths to feed (like me!) this collapsible strainer set is just what you need.
- Enameled cast iron – Perfect pot of pasta maker!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Chicken Alfredo
- 1 - 2 pounds chicken breast or thighs boneless/skinless
- 1 pound fettuccine noodles
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Dry the chicken on both sides with a clean cloth or paper towel. Season both sides of the chicken with salt & pepper (or your chosen spices).
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in hot skillet in a single layer with plenty of room between each breast, and cook 5 - 7 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Flip the chicken and add the butter to the center of the pan. Cook an addition 5 - 7 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F. Set aside.
- Boil noodles to al dente, according to package directions.
- While noodles are boiling, use your skillet to cook butter and garlic until butter has melted and garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until cream has thickened, about 10 minutes. Turn heat to very low.
- Add the seasonings and parmesan cheese and whisk until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
- Drain pasta and add to the sauce. Mix well and top with chicken.
- Use up your leftover chicken (or other meats!) in this recipe.
- Add veggies like peas, or bell pepper strips.
- Lighten it up by serving over zucchini noodles, microwave spaghetti squash, or by swapping some or all of the heavy cream for Greek yogurt.
- Make it super quick by using pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and a jar of sauce!
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!