Asparagus Soup!!! Ahhhhhhh! I think I love asparagus season nearly as much as I love pumpkin season!!! This Creamy Asparagus Soup works up quickly and easily and is soul soothingly delicious. I’m pretty sure it could be a cog in the wheel to world peace.
Creamy Asparagus Soup Ingredients:
- 2 pounds asparagus, chopped, woody ends discarded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup small diced sweet yellow onion (about 1/2 a small onion)
- 1 heaping tablespoon bacon fat* (here’s an easy way to keep bacon fat on hand!)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Blends, Vegetable Magic)
- 7 cups chicken** stock (how to make your own chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream***
- garnish: crispy bacon bits
Creamy Asparagus Soup Directions:
- Saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt in bacon fat for about ten minutes, until onions are soft and translucent.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a light boil. Add asparagus.
- Simmer covered for 20 – 30 minutes, until asparagus is soft.
- Add heavy cream, and puree with an immersion blender until smooth (or carefully pour into your upright blender).
*bacon fat will yield the most robust flavor, but you can sub butter or olive oil if need be
**sub with vegetable stock if you don’t eat meat
***vegans and strict paleo can omit this entirely (it really is still delicious), or you can sub coconut milk