A tomato sandwich made with ripe tomato, soft white bread, and creamy mayo is one of my very favorite easy lunch ideas!
This classic tomato sandwich is nostalgia on a plate! Serve it with other delicious vintage recipes like watergate salad, slow cooker cube steak, or banana pudding.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this classic sandwich recipe!
📌 A great way to use up tomatoes in the summer!
📌 Quick and easy lunch idea.
📌 Classic fresh flavors that are full of nostalgia.
Tomato Sandwich Ingredients
- Bread – White sandwich bread.
- Tomato – Large ripe tomatoes, sliced.
- Mayonnaise – We’re partial to full fat classic mayo, but you can use low fat if preferred. Not Miracle Whip!
- Seasonings – Salt and pepper.
How do you make a tomato sandwich with mayo? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each slice of bread.
⭐ Next, layer slices on one slice of bread, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the other slice of bread mayo side down on top.
⭐ Then, slice as desired.
⭐ Finally, enjoy!
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
What kind of bread for tomato sandwiches?
Tomato sandwiches typically use white sandwich bread. Think classic Wonder Bread! White bread has that perfect soft and gently chewy texture that works so well in this recipe.
You can also bake your own homemade white bread if you’re feeling extra industrious!
Do you need to peel the tomatoes first?
No, we do not recommend peeling the tomatoes in this recipe.
Can you make tomato sandwiches ahead of time?
We do not recommend making this recipe ahead of time. If you want to get some of the prep work out of the way early, go ahead and slice the tomatoes.
Store these separately in air tight containers in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches.
What seasonings on tomato sandwiches?
Just salt and pepper as pictured, but you can definitely add whatever other seasonings you love. Sometimes I’ll add a little garlic salt or seasoned salt.
Red pepper flakes are good too!
Storage and leftovers
How long do homemade tomato sandwiches last?
These are best when enjoyed immediately after preparation, but leftovers will keep 1- 2 days in the refrigerator. Longer than that and they will become too soggy.
Can you freeze tomato sandwiches?
We do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Definitely use soft white bread for a classic flavor.
✅ Make sure your tomatoes are super fresh!
✅ Try different seasonings like everything bagel seasoning or our classic spice rub blend!
What to eat with a tomato sandwich (serving suggestions)
Try this yummy sandwich with one of our easy sides like cherry fluff, fruit salad, or air fryer french fries.
More delicious sandwich recipes to try
- Cucumber sandwich recipes
- Chicken parm sandwiches
- Classic reuben sandwich recipe
- Club sandwich
- See all our easy sandwich recipes!
Other awesome tomato recipes
- Roasted tomato salsa
- Pickled green tomatoes
- Bruschetta topping
- Roasted tomatoes
- Tomato soup
- Cucumber tomato salad
- Corn and tomato salad
- Tuna stuffed tomatoes
- See all our recipes that use tomatoes!
Tools we love
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced.
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make a Tomato Sandwich
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 tomato cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt & pepper to taste
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each slice of bread.
- Depending on how big your tomato is, layer 2 to 3 slices on one slice of bread, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the other slice of bread mayo side down on top.
- Cut in half and enjoy!
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!
This takes me back to childhood when gran and I went to the garden and gathered the tomatoes. and made fresh tomato sandwiches for lunch. Everyone loved these, they were like a treat. Thanks for the memory.