Tortellini salad made with cheese tortellini, fresh vegetables, and creamy Italian dressing is the perfect way to wow your whole family!
This tortellini pasta salad recipe reminds me of long afternoons at my grandmother’s sipping sweet tea and playing with the cousins. Join me in my nostalgia and serve it with parmesan crusted chicken and a batch of sherbet punch!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Tortellini Salad Ingredients
- Cheese tortellini – We like the tri-colored for this salad to keep it bright and fun!
- Mayonnaise – I like mayo, but Miracle Whip will work too if you want it sweeter.
- Italian Dressing – Grab your favorite brand.
- Parmesan Cheese – Freshly grated will give the best flavor, but canned is fine too.
- Cucumber – Sliced.
- Red onion – Finely chopped.
- Bell Pepper – We chose a mix of green and orange to bring in a variety of colors.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Halved. I love how sweet cherry tomatoes are, but you can sub diced whole tomatoes in a pinch.
- Parsley – Fresh, chopped.
If you love tortellini, try our tortellini soup or tortellini chicken pesto bake next!
How do you make tortellini salad? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, boil and drain the tortellini and set aside. while the pasta is cooking, whisk together mayonnaise, dressing, parmesan, parsley & pepper.
⭐ Then, combine tortellini, cucumber, onion, bell peppers and tomatoes.
⭐ Next, fold in the sauce and stir to combine.
⭐ Finally, chill and garnish with additional parsley and parmesan before serving.
Can you make tortellini pasta salad ahead of time?
Yes, in fact it is best when chilled several hours before serving but you can make it as much as a full day in advance.
What is the dressing for tortellini salad?
The dressing is made of mayonnaise, Italian dressing, parmesan, parsley & pepper. You can substitute Miracle whip for mayo if you prefer.
Sometimes we’ll switch it up and use a different dressing like this creamy Italian dressing, a citrus vinaigrette, or even chunky blue cheese dressing!
Storage and leftovers
How long does tortellini salad last?
Leftovers will keep several days in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container for best results.
Can you freeze tortellini salad?
This recipe should not be frozen, it will make the pasta mushy and unappetizing.
Variations, Tips and Tricks
🍗 Make it a complete meal by adding protein like diced ham, sliced cooked chicken, bacon, or pepperoni.
🍅 Go veggie crazy with carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, artichoke hearts, and olives.
🌶 Give it a kick with a squirt of sriracha or some diced pickled jalapenos.
🍃 Go green with a handful of fresh baby spinach, arugula, basil, or green onion.
🔥 Serve it warm in the winter for a whole different vibe!
What to eat with tortellini salad (serving suggestions)
We love this alongside buffalo chicken burgers, grilled pork chops, baked bbq chicken, or sloppy joe sandwiches. For dessert try a batch of peanut butter blossom cookies or candy coated cake balls.
More delicious salad recipes
- Potato salad with eggs
- Raw brussels sprouts salad
- Broccoli salad with bacon
- Best egg salad recipe
- See all our salad recipes
Italian inspired dishes to try next
- Lasagna soup recipe
- Sausage and pepper stuffed shells
- Chicken parm sandwich
- Easy baked spaghetti
- One pot Italian pasta
- Caprese skewers
- See all our easy Italian dishes
Other pasta recipes to try
- Italian antipasto pasta salad
- Tuna pasta salad recipe
- Best macaroni salad
- Creamy stove top mac and cheese
Tools we love
- Classic wooden salad bowl – This bowl makes any salad look extra pretty.
- Natural teak cutting board – Perfect for slicing all those veggies!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Tortellini Salad
- 4 cups cheese tortellini 19 ounce bag which is actually about 4.5 cups/frozen tri colored cheese tortellini (the kind that doesn’t expand much)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley plus extra for serving
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cucumber sliced
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ orange or red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Boil and drain your tortellini and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together your mayonnaise, Italian dressing, parmesan cheese, parsley and black pepper until combined.
- In a large bowl combine the tortellini, cucumber, onion, bell peppers and tomatoes.
- Gently fold in the sauce and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle with a little more parsley or parmesan before serving.
- Make it a complete meal by adding protein like diced ham, sliced cooked chicken, bacon, or pepperoni.
- Go veggie crazy with carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, artichoke hearts, and olives.
- Give it a kick with a squirt of sriracha or some diced pickled jalapenos.
- Go green with a handful of fresh baby spinach, arugula, basil, or green onion.
- Serve it warm in the winter for a whole different vibe!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Fay Shroeder says
My whole family loves tortellini so I knew I had to try this. Boy was it a hit, I just wish I doubled the recipe!
We loved this so much! It is the perfect side dish and had the leftovers for a light lunch today. Delicious!
Looks so delicious! Can’t wait to try this one with my family.