Our Zuppa Toscana Creamy Potato Sausage Soup recipe is even better than Olive Garden – add this simple Italian soup recipe to your menu plan now!
This Zuppa Toscana Creamy Potato Sausage Soup is loosely based on Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup – inasmuch as I had some soup from a friend several years ago and she was trying to imitate Olive Garden’s soup. And it was good, so I made my own.
Zuppa Toscana Creamy Potato Sausage Soup, Ingredients:
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (mild or hot, depending on your tastes) – browned and drained
- 1 pound bacon – cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 12 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, washed and small cubed (not peeled)
- 1 quart half and half
- 8 – 10 ounces fresh kale, rough chopped
Zuppa Toscana Creamy Potato Sausage Soup, Directions:
- In a (very) large stock pot, saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt in a small amount of oil or fat for 5-10 minutes, until onions are translucent and garlic is aromatic.
- Add cooked sausage, bacon, and stock, then bring to a light boil.
- Add potato and cook at a low simmer for about 30 minutes, until potato pieces are cooked through.
- Pour in half and half, then bring back up to heat, being careful not to boil (boiling can make the milk separate – your soup will still taste good, it just won’t be as pretty).
- Add kale to each soup bowl, then pour the hot soup over top. Serve and…